"FUBU" is the tenth episode of Atlanta: Robbin' Season. It is the twentieth episode of the series overall. It premiered on May 3, 2018. It was written by Stephen Glover and directed by Donald Glover.
Official description Edit
Y’all youngins don't know nothing about this. This one takes me back to middle school. Shout out Miller Grove!
The episode is a flashback episode exploring Earn and Alfred's middle school years, set some time in the late 1990s. It begins when a young Earn finds a yellow FUBU shirt while shopping with his mother at Marshall's and convinces her to buy it for him. The next morning on the school bus, Earn witnesses a student get beat up after being ratted out for throwing a yogurt cup at an older kid. At school, Earn's classmates admire his new shirt until another student named Devin arrives wearing a similar shirt, causing them to question its authenticity. Once Homeroom begins, Earn's friend Chris mocks the substitute teacher. Meanwhile, Alfred (in a military school uniform) is in the principal's office after being accused of stealing and selling another student's calculator. Due to a lack of evidence, however, he is allowed to return to class. On the way to his next class, Earn worries that Johnny Lee, a FUBU expert, will identify his shirt as a fake, causing him to be ridiculed for the rest of middle school. In Science class, Earn overhears the teacher, Mrs. Banks, give a pep talk to an underachieving student named Denisha. While examining cells, Earn receives a note asking if he likes a girl named Erica, to which he answers "yes". He then receives another note asking if his shirt is fake, which he answers "no". Before receiving a final, more threatening note, Earn's lab partner informs him his shirt has a loose thread, to his horror. On his way to lunch, Earn is harassed by two older students for his supposedly fake shirt. At lunch, he continues to worry while the same bullies harass Devin for his own shirt. Desperate, Earn turns to Alfred for help, and Al advises him to remain confident. Once school ends, Alfred is brought before Johnny, who confirms that Earn's shirt is fake. Fortunately, Alfred arrives and stands up for his cousin, declaring that Devin's shirt is the real fake. At the end of the day, Earn gets Erica's phone number, but is saddened when a group of 12th-graders start to harass Devin. The next day, Earn and his classmates are informed that Devin committed suicide. At the same time, however, Denisha's mood has improved and she is now more eager to learn, to Earn's confusion. After school, Earn's mother and Aunt Lorraine (Alfred's mother) reflect on the day's events, as well as remind Earn the importance of proper clothing and looking out for his cousin. Earn also learns his mother bought him another FUBU shirt, to his displeasure. The episode ends with Earn and Alfred sitting on the couch together.
- This is the first flashback episode in the series.
- There are several hints the episode takes place in the fall of 1998:
- Earn has a poster of Outkast's album Aquemini in his bedroom. The album was released on September 29, 1998.
- Alfred steals the Rush Hour soundtrack from a locker. The movie premiered on September 18, 1998.
- Alfred is a fan of Dragon Ball Z. Reruns of the anime's English dub began airing on Cartoon Network's Toonami block on August 31, 1998.
- ↑ IMDb "FUBU". Retrieved March 22, 2018.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 (April 2, 2018) "Atlanta - Episode 2.10 - FUBU - Press Release". Spoiler TV. Retrieved April 5, 2018.
- ↑ Wikipedia "Aquemini". Retrieved May 4, 2018.
- ↑ Wikipedia "Rush Hour (1998 film)". Retrieved May 4, 2018.
- ↑ Wikipedia "Dragon Ball Z". Retrieved May 4, 2018.